Wednesday 11 November 2009

The Grewals: Typically Desi

I'm definitely not hating here before I get my head bitten off BUT I am saying that the stars of Channel 4's second series of The Family, the Grewals are a tad too typical in my books.
You'd think that in 2009 there would be a British Indian family where the father doesn't order his wife about like a servant, barking "cup of tea" and the sort while she obeys his commands.
You'd also think that the day of the overly obedient daughter-in-law that cuts her saas'/saasu's/ma-in-law's toenails and threads her father-in-law's nose hairs was very much over.
Call me a coconut if you will but I thought squashing the whole family into one house stopped in the late 80's. I really think Channel 4 should have done some more research or looked at a family that was more 2009 rather than 1989.
In these times of rising BNP influence and mutlicultural Britain misunderstanding its neighbours, a family that isn't a stereotype might have opened a few minds instead of playing to the old stereotypes a la Masood or in this example, Grewal.

No comments: