Monday 16 March 2009

The Adil Ray Show...

I've been listening to the BBC Asian Network for about 5 years now and I've got to say the whole station is a fantastic concept.

My personal favourite shows are Nikki Bedi, Friction, the beginning pure bhangra part of Sonnyji's show and last but not least Adil Ray.

For me this guy single-handedly separates the men from the boys in Asian radio. Personally I think he's built for bigger things e.g. the Radio 1 breakfast slot.

Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those weirdo fans that camps outside his house or anything, in fact I've only called in once and text in twice the whole time I've been tuning in. What actually made me write this is a new job I've recently started.

When Adil moved from Drivetime to Breakfast, I stopped listening every day and listened back to about one show per week due to the early time slot. Since working this new (and may I add incredibly boring) job, I have the privilege of being allowed to listen to music on the job. Luckily for me my mobile has the iplayer software on it so I can catch up with my favourite Asian Network shows, as well as Eastenders, Panorama etc!

Listening to Adil on breakfast is definitely an uplifting experience for people like me who are like 100 year old zombies first thing in the morning. What really surprised me was how versatile he could be, catering for a drivetime audience one minute and then a breakfast one the next. Putting antics such as his prank calls, Nakami (adopted monkey from Malawi) and Karachi FM aside, his ability to make jokes out of anything is where I think his best gift lies.

It's gotten to the point where I'm listening to a show and I nearly bite the head off of any colleague who dares interrupt my listening time! I actually laugh out loud - something which I haven't done since the days of Goodness Gracious Me.

I don't want to feed his ego or anything but he's doing really well and I hope he keeps it up. I just feel it's a bit of a shame that his skills are currently restricted to one audience. Someone should get him on a Radio 1 slot, a lot of their daytime shows are getting VERY tired these days!

If you haven't heard an Adil Ray show before, tune in seriously, I've gotten friends Asian and non-Asian alike to tune in and each time they end up getting hooked.

Currently, he's doing the later breakfast slot of 7-10am.

Damn, I've just realised I've written the above post like I'm head of the Asian Network's programming or Adil's mother, I can assure you I'm neither. Check it out, this is just straight up appreciation!

No comments: